Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Election Announcement

So, while I've had my nose buried in a textbook, the SFSS has announced its election.

See http://www.sfss.ca/elections/iecindex.htm for more extensive information. Nominations are due on February 25th and I highly encourage anyone interested to pick up a package and run. The SFSS needs more quality candidates. I have to ask J.J., the fantastic IEC chair if I can still write this blog, so I'll get back to you.

In the meantime, check the above site and take a look at the data link. There is some pretty interesting information on that site that will give some insight into what is likely to happen in this election: a lot of the same people running for the same kind of spots on issues that should have been resolved years ago by many of their friends.

Voter Funded Media started up to increase transparency in democracies. Mark Latham, a benevolent ex-banker, funds test runs at UBC and now SFU for the first time. He's planning on holding the contest every month with voting happening every month. So, if you think this is some valuable SFSS information, I encourage you to vote at: http://www.votermedia.org/sfu/howtovote.html. So far, Myself, Bradley Coleman (who hasn't uploaded anything), Instant Blog (which is looking like they are going to have some great coverage) and CJSF (which so few people I know listen to, but is still a good thing to have on campus) have entered for this month. There are cash prizes every month based on votes from SFU id's. If anyone is wanting to write for this blog and provide some more insight, I'd be happy to share my prize. I'm here just to try and provide some of my insight. I'll try to put up a summary of my experiences in the past nearly four years being involved in SFU politics, including some senate, faculty, Peak and DSU stuff.

Feel free to ask questions as well. I'd be more than happy to try and answer them.

No comments: